Spring Cleaning Checklist - Learn the Best Spring Cleaning Tips
The days are becoming longer, and it gets warmer and warmer outside. It means only one thing - spring is coming, and it's time for spring cleaning. Are you wondering about when and how to begin? We can help you - it's not complicated! Take a look and create your spring cleaning checklist!
Why should you do spring cleaning every year?
As spring comes, another stage of life begins. This is when everything comes back into life - along with a new motivation. It’s good to put it to use. Spring cleaning is probably the best idea.
Typically, you clean your house or apartment only once a week because of lack of time. Such cleaning is usually very superficial. Vacuuming and mopping the floors, dusting the furniture, tidying the bathroom. Normally, there’s no time for checking the cupboards and more thorough cleaning. That’s why spring is the best time to begin a revolution in your house.
Spring cleaning tips - how to make it easier?
Contrary to a popular belief, spring cleaning doesn’t have to be an ordeal. Because many people act chaotically, the process might seem so. Make sure to carefully plan each next step - use some spring cleaning tips presented below:
- Start from the most time-consuming tasks, and finish with the easiest ones.
- If you don’t feel like it - don’t try doing everything in one day. Spread the tasks across a few days - this way, you won’t get exhausted.
- Plan cleaning each room separately - thanks to this, you will finish much quicker.
- Ask family members or roommates for help - plan the spring cleaning for a weekend, when everyone is free, and assign tasks to everyone.
- Throw away old or worn out things - the clutter will never come in useful, and you will only waste precious time moving it around.
- Prepare all the cleaning supplies and products you need beforehand so that you don’t have to search for them while working.
Basic spring cleaning checklist
Spring cleaning often involves repetitive tasks, which you should perform for every room in the house. The most basic list includes:
- dusting the interior - including walls, ceilings, wall moldings and lamps,
- washing skirting boards,
- cleaning the furniture and electronic devices,
- vacuuming every corner (especially behind the furniture),
- wiping the leaves of each houseplant,
- cleaning the windows,
- cleaning the radiators,
- washing vent covers,
- mopping the floors.
By doing all this, you can remove months-worth layers of dust and other types of dirt. Thanks to this, spending time in your house will be a more pleasant experience - you will surely notice it.
Spring cleaning ideas for the living room
The living room is a place where the whole family spends a lot of time, so it’s especially worth tidying up. Here’s the most essential spring cleaning list of things to do in this interior:
- vacuum the sofa and armchairs - wash the fabrics if needed,
- wash the pillows and blankets,
- vacuum and refresh the carpet,
- tidy the stuff on the shelves - throw away anything you don’t need anymore,
- clean the electronic devices,
- organize the cables.
How to spring clean the bedroom?
As for the bedroom, removing any dust is the most important aspect of spring cleaning - it might trigger allergies and affect your sleep. Because of this, make sure to carefully clean the furniture, baseboards, decorations and windowsills. The same goes for the bedroom houseplants.
Additionally, it’s recommended to clean the mattresses at least once a year - perhaps spring is a good time for it. By doing this, you remove not only dust, but also harmful microorganisms. A steam cleaner is one of the best solutions, in this case. Steam cleaners remove dirt and kill all bacteria. Thanks to this, the mattress gets sterilized, and you can sleep on it comfortably.
Tidying the closet is another issue - closets are often located in bedrooms. Go through every item and search for anything that:
- you no longer wear because it went out of fashion,
- is too small for you.
Spring cleaning in the kitchen
Cleaning the kitchen is a bit more demanding and time-consuming. First, empty the cupboards and clean everything thoroughly. We’re talking about plates, pots, cutlery and other accessories.
Shelves with food come in the second stage. In this case, check best before dates, as well as the state of the products. Pay a special attention to the containers with groats, rice, flour, and other products of this type. That’s where pantry moths might lurk.
Cleaning the kitchen appliances is the next step on the spring cleaning list. Make sure to do the following:
- defrost and clean the refrigerator (modern models defrost themselves automatically - if you own such a device, you can omit this step and just clean the inside of the fridge),
- clean the oven,
- wash the microwave,
- clean the dishwasher,
- wipe the kitchen hood and replace the filters.
If the floor is covered with tiles, make sure to clean the grout between them. That’s where food scraps and dust gather. Grease also might accumulate there, which only worsens the stains. Sometimes, a steam cleaner is all you need, in this case. If the dirt is stubborn, consider using chemical products that will dissolve it.
Spring cleaning list - the bathroom
The bathroom, just like the already mentioned kitchen, is quite difficult to clean when performing spring cleaning. That’s why washing such an interior might take more time. The basic checklist involves the following actions:
- thorough cleaning of a shower stall or a bath tub - paying attention to each corner,
- washing the toilet bowl - not only the central part, but the whole thing,
- cleaning the sink and the faucet,
- wiping the mirror,
- washing bathroom rugs,
- cleaning the washing machine and dryer.
When spring cleaning, you should also look through your cosmetics. Some of them might be no longer suitable for use because of the expired date. The same issue applies to various cleaning supplies and laundry detergents.
Spring cleaning in a child’s bedroom
Spring cleaning doesn’t concern just the kitchen, the bathroom or the living room, but also your child’s room. That place should be clean as well. If you want to make it possible, you should do more than just dusting, cleaning the floors and windows or refreshing the bed.
- Most importantly, look through the clothes and organize them. Children grow very fast, so you are likely to find many pieces of clothing that are already too small.
- Organizing the toys is another crucial issue. If your toddler no longer plays with something, or if it’s broken - throw it away to make more room in the interior.
Spring cleaning - helpful supplies
A good preparation is the basic element of spring cleaning. Thanks to this, you don’t have to interrupt the cleaning once you begin only because you run out of a certain product or because you’re missing an essential accessory. Take a look at the list of useful spring cleaning supplies:
- universal wet wipes,
- microfiber cloths,
- paper towels,
- cleaning products,
- a bowl or a bucket,
- a mop,
- a vacuum cleaner,
- a steam cleaner,
- a feather duster,
- a grout cleaning brush,
- natural cleaners: vinegar, baking soda, citric acid, salt.
Equipped with such a set, you will tackle spring cleaning in no time.
📍 What does spring cleaning mean?
Spring cleaning involves various cleaning activities performed at home, usually done once per year. It's general cleaning of every room in the house - the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, the bedroom and the children's room.
📍 When to start spring cleaning?
There is no fixed date when you have to do spring cleaning. As the name indicates, such actions are done in spring, when the weather gets warmer, and you can easily clean the windows or take some items outside.
📍 What are some spring cleaning ideas?
Coming up with a plan and involving all family members are the best way to do spring cleaning effectively. Thanks to this, everything goes smoothly, and one person doesn't have to do everything.
📍 How to begin spring cleaning?
Start spring cleaning from the most complicated and time-consuming tasks. This way, everything goes faster, and spring cleaning is not as exhausting.
Maybe you're interested