How to clean oven? Oven cleaners and cleaning hacks
If you don’t want to feel frustration every time you tidy your kitchen, you should clean your oven on a regular basis. It is best to wipe its insides every time after using it. In practice, however, such activities are postponed as much as possible, until the dirt becomes a serious obstacle.
There are many commercial oven cleaners available to buy. However their components often are controversial. The ingredients of such products are usually chemicals that tend to release strong smell. What’s more, they might be dangerous in contact with skin.
So how to clean the oven? Fortunately there are plenty of natural oven cleaners that are eco-friendly, safe and most importantly - effective.
Oven cleaners for light stains
If the oven is not very dirty, it should be quite easy to clean. The best oven cleaners that do not require any effort or scrubbing are:
- Steam for oven cleaning - this method is possible only in convection ovens. How to clean the oven with steam? All you need is an ovenproof dish and half a lemon. Just pour some water into the dish and squeeze the lemon juice into it. Set the temperature to 170°C. The fan will spread the steam everywhere in the oven. Turn the oven off after a while and wait until it cools down. Then just wipe the interior with a clean cloth soaked with water and dish soap. Rinse the soap residues with water and leave the oven open until it dries completely.
- Water mixed with vinegar - light stains can be cleaned with the use of water mixed with some vinegar. Just wipe the oven with a cloth soaked with the mixture, or in case of heavier stains - use a sponge scrubber. After the cleaning rinse the oven with clear water and wipe it dry, using paper towel or a dry piece of cloth.
How to clean oven - old dirt
Which oven cleaner will clean stubborn dirt? Removing burnt and baked food particles is time consuming. Even thorough scrubbing might not be effective, unless you use the right methods. Fortunately there are some reliable home remedies.They will save you a lot of time and energy and you will clean your oven in no time.
The most commonly used oven cleaner is baking soda. This substance is a highly effective - along with the dirt, it also removes the unpleasant smell of burnt food. You can use baking soda in combination with other products.
The most popular methods use mixtures of substances such as:
- Baking soda, dish detergent and water - to prepare such a mixture, take half a glass of water, ¼ glass of baking soda and 1-2 teaspoons of dish soap. Mix it and place the substance onto every dirty spot in your oven. Leave if for a couple of minutes - the paste will dissolve the dirt. Next, clean the oven with a damp sponge, rinse it and leave until it dries completely.
- Baking soda, dish soap and vinegar - mix those substances as follows: half a glass of soap, half a glass of vinegar and 5-10 tablespoons of baking soda. How to clean the oven with this method? Set the temperature to 50°C and turn the oven off once it warms up. Spread the paste in the oven and leave it overnight. Next day just clean it with warm water and leave it to dry.
- Baking soda, salt and hot water - mix the soda and water 1:1 and add two teaspoons of salt. Place the paste onto every stained spot and leave it for 5 min to 12 hours. Clean the oven afterwards using a sponge or a brush. Rinse it with clean water and dry with a cloth or paper towel.
How to clean a self cleaning oven?
Many modern ovens have the function of self-cleaning. There are two technologies that can be used for this purpose: catalytic and pyrolytic. How to clean an oven with such functions? Both of the methods involve burning the dirt. Pyrolytic ovens warm up to very high temperatures, usually 500°C. As a result, the food particles burn off and turn to ash. All that needs to be done afterwards is to wipe the inside with a damp cloth. Keep in mind that this type of oven cleaning requires completely emptying the oven. If left inside during cleaning, utensils such as baking trays would get completely destroyed.
Catalytic cleaning, on the other hand, happens with the use of the oven. Special catalytic liners absorb grease and dirt.
If you have this type of oven, remember about cleaning the liners regularly. Do it delicately, as they are easy to damage. Do not let the grease to grow on them - if such layer gets too thick, you will have to replace the liners.
How to clean an oven - important elements
When you clean your oven, remember about its each component. Pay special attention to rack, trays, shelves and the outside. It is best to soak removable parts such as rack and trays in a separate bowl with water and vinegar. Scrub them afterwards using a sponge scrubber and dish soap.
You should also clean the front of the oven. The easiest method is pouring some water mixed with vinegar into a spray bottle. Spray all stains with the substance and wipe the surface with a soft cloth. If possible, unscrew all of the knobs and clean them in a bowl filled with water.
How to clean oven from the outside? Remember about the glass, which is the most important part. It’s the place where all the grease accumulates and dries up. Such a film is difficult to remove. The methods with baking soda mentioned above will surely clean the dirty glass. If it’s possible with your particular oven model, take out the glass to make the cleaning easier.
If the stains are very difficult to get rid of, you can try cleaning with petroleum jelly, which should soften the dirt. Just spread it on the glass and wait a couple of minutes. Then use glass cleaner.
Cleaning the oven doesn’t have to be difficult. Clean it on a regular basis while the dirt is still fresh and easy to remove. If you left it uncleaned for a long time though - don’t panic. There are home remedies available, along with recipes for oven cleaners. They are cheap and eco-friendly, and they will help you to remove even the most stubborn dirt. It’s worth the effort, as clean oven is a guarantee that your food will always taste as it should.
How to clean an oven - FAQ
📍 How to clean oven using home remedies?
Baking soda is the best oven cleaner used in many home recipes. Just mix it with another substance that you can find in your kitchen, for instance with vinegar and dish soap. Such paste will dissolve any kind of dirt.
📍 How to clean oven without damaging it?
In order not to damage your oven while cleaning, soak all the stains before removing them. It will remove the necessity to scrub the dirt - that could scratch delicate parts. It the dirt is hard to remove, use a brush with plastic bristles. Make sure to be careful with scrubbing.
📍 How to clean a very dirty oven?
You can cover particularly stubborn stains with a special baking soda paste. It should work even with the most filthy surfaces. To prepare the paste, mix the soda with warm water and some salt. Leave it overnight and the stains should soften.
📍 How to clean a convection oven?
The best oven cleaner for convection ovens is steam. Pour water and lemon juice into a heat resistant dish and put it in the oven. Set the temperature to 170°C - the fan will spread the steam. After the oven cools down, wipe the surface with a soft cloth.