Do it yourself! Home decor ideas for everyone
You don’t need to have any special abilities to create some elegant and charming decorations. Such DIY projects usually do not require spending a lot of money. All needed materials are within your reach. Very few, if any things are required to buy - and usually they are cheap. Naturally, total expenses differ from project to project. There is, however, plenty of DIY ideas that do not require buying anything, because everything you need you can find in your own house.
DIY projects offer a lot of interesting interior design solutions. They often involve renovating old objects or creating brand new ones with the use of cheap materials. Individuals who seek for inexpensive ideas to furnish their households often collect old furniture. Then they refurbish them - by modifying, repainting or even combining several parts into one. Such unusual inventions result in unique DIY decorations, which combine remarkable style and functionality.
DIY - paper crafts
A great many of DIY projects can be made of plain paper. This cheap material is quite versatile and therefore highly popular amongst handicraft lovers. Paper can be used for practically anything - from painting to sculpting.
Some home decor ideas involving paper:
- Lamp shades - they can be prepared with the use of origami techniques - there are many step-by-step instructions in the web. You can also cut some shapes out of paper and combine them into a ball using glue. Poking a pattern of holes in a solid paper lamp shade will result in a very interesting lighting in a room.
- Decorative garlands - paper chains are decorations suitable not only for Christmas and parties, as many might think. They can be utilized throughout the entire year. Just cut some interesting shapes out of coloured construction paper, attach them to a string and hang them anyplace you want. You can also use crêpe paper, which creates very aesthetic forms, for instance flowers, pom poms and fringe.
- 3D paper sculpture - a very impressive and quite easy to make DIY project. To make it, you need some paper, scissors and glue. The paper needs to be folded in such a way so that a solid figure is made. Every such element is glued onto a wall, side by side. This way one can build fascinating structures, which will delight anyone.
- Magazine collage - if you have a collection of old glossy magazines, you can reuse them to make a beautiful picture. Just cut out some photographs that interest you and arrange them into a scene or anything you like. Glue the pieces to a cardboard, frame the collage and hang it on a wall.
DIY - atmospheric lighting in your house
Apart from the paper lampshades, there are many more DIY projects involving atmospheric lighting in the room. You can use anything - for instance old Christmas lights, which can be used as a year-long decoration. Some DIY ideas for Christmas lights are:
- Mason jar lantern - the lights put inside an old mason jar will result in a gorgeous lighting in the whole room at night. The more interesting shape of the jar, the more appealing the decoration will be. Instead of a jar you can also use a glass bottle.
- DIY light up letters - all you need for such a decoration is a cardboard. Cut a shape of a letter out of it and pierce little holes along the edges (to do it, you can use a pen or a hole punch). Insert the lights in the holes. You can set up a whole phrase on the wall - for instance to light up your bedroom.
- Hula hoop chandelier - if you have an old hoop lying around in your house, you can use it for a DIY chandelier. Just wrap it in a decorative tape and secure the lights around the edges. Fasten some strings around the circle - evenly placed and brought together in the middle, they will hold the whole construction.
Mason jars are perfect for making lanterns and lamps. They can be used to prepare, for instance:
- Patio floor lights - simply put a LED candle in an empty jar. Additionally, you can stick a colourful decorative paper napkin or colourful tissue to the walls of the jar. The light will illuminate the pattern and will cast a colourful glow onto the floor. You can put the lanterns on your balcony and patio, as well as along the path in your garden.
- Lanterns - “water lantern” is another interesting idea. Just pour some water into a jar and place a tealight onto the surface.
Do it yourself - something out of nothing!
DIY decorations can engage any kind of material that is within your reach. Just browse your tool closet or examine your sewing kit. An ordinary copper wire can be formed into any shape - for instance, you can make an extraordinary sculpture out of it. Use a small wooden board as a base, attaching the ends to it. If you wish for something more functional than just a sculpture - form the wire into a jewellery stand shaped like a tree or a hand.
String can be used as a decoration of many objects. Wrapping bottles, jars and boxes in some twine will completely change their appearance. You have completely free hand in DIY project of this type - you can combine twine with some other decorative items, such as dried flowers.
Macrame is yet another DIY technique that creatively uses strings. This type of art uses special knots to produce decorative fabrics. Objects that can be made with this method:
- tapestries (wall hangings, decorative fabrics that can be hung on a wall or on a piece of furniture),
- drink coasters,
- plant hangers,
- hanging pocket organisers,
- decorative shopping bags.
If you have a lot of colourful buttons at home, you can put them onto a wire or a string and make a hanging decoration. It will look great with some decorative ribbons attached. Buttons are also great when you want to make a small picture. Just sew them on a piece of fabric or glue them onto a cardboard, arranging them as you please.
Don’t throw away - do it yourself!
DIY makers often are supporters of movements such as upcycling - transforming thrash and other used materials into art. It’s not only ecological, but also highly economical. Giving a second life to objects which were meant to be thrown away is definitely worth the effort.
- Instead of throwing away old newspapers and magazines, you can use them to prepare paper wicker. You can make impressive sculptures, boxes, vases and many other objects out of it.
- You can repaint old tin cans or decorate them using decoupage. They can be used as decorative containers for pens or other small objects.
- You don’t have to buy plastic containers to organise things. Use old cardboard shoe boxes for this purpose. Just paint the walls or cover them with decorative paper.
- Do not throw away burnt-out light bulbs. They look great as small hanging decorations. After removing the filament you can fill the bulb with small objects, such as pebbles, flower petals, colourful beads etc. Attach the bulb to a piece of string and hang it wherever you please.
Many claim that plants are absolutely necessary in any interior. To make the most of their decorative value, one should put them in aesthetically pleasing pots. Instead of buying boring, ordinary flowerpots, you can make them yourself. Such handmade containers will definitely give your place an original, fresh look.
There are a lot of DIY projects that you can use for decorating your plants. Take a look at the inspirations below:
- Tin cans - just paint the containers a suitable colour.
- Unused cups and mugs - old dishes make great pots for succulents. Those types of plants will feel and look great in such a container.
- Mason jars - you can use them in your kitchen for planting herbs. There is no need to paint them - transparent jars filled with soil and plants will be great eyecatchers in the kitchen.
- Old toolbox - you can replace the usual flower box with an old wooden toolbox. It will look fantastic on a balcony, patio or in the garden.
One plant decoration is quite popular recently. Bottle gardens are small terraria for plants, made of glass bottles or mason jars. The mini gardens are very easy to make. It’s definitely worth trying, as bottle gardens are very decorative and original. This DIY project has two varieties - open and closed. Depending on the version, one can use different types of plants. There are a lot of guides in the Web on how to make a bottle garden.
DIY home decor is not a complicated matter. All you need is your own enthusiasm. The Internet is full of inspiring DIY ideas - adding your own imagination to them will result in unique and beautiful decorations. DIY projects are great if you want to get fabulous decorations for a low price. Making them is also a fantastic way to use your own creativity. Surely it will bring you a lot of satisfaction.
DIY home decor projects - FAQ
📍 DIY - what does it mean exactly?
DIY is a method for making various kinds of objects for your own purposes, without the need of help from professionals. Usually it involves a creative hobby, such as crocheting, painting or knitting. It is a great way to develop one’s creativity.
📍 What does “DIY” mean?
DIY is an abbreviation for the phrase Do It Yourself. The meaning of the term includes making decorations, common objects, pieces of clothing or even cosmetics. Anything made at home by an individual might be labeled as “do it yourself”.
📍 How to decorate a room using DIY projects?
Home decor ideas often involve DIY decorations. You can find plenty of inspirations on the Internet or in do it yourself related magazines. Make sure that your DIY decorations fit each other.