DIY furniture made of pallets. How to make pallet furniture?
Table of Content
- DIY pallet furniture - how to make it?
- Pallet furniture for your garden - which pallets are the best?
- How to make pallet furniture?
- Pallet furniture ideas
Comfortable and functional furniture is an essential element if you want to spend a pleasant time in your garden or on your patio. A new, good quality garden furniture set might be quite costly. There are, however, much cheaper, original solutions. An interesting and increasingly popular material used for furnishing gardens are pallets. Pallet furniture is inexpensive, quite sturdy and extremely easy to make.
DIY pallet furniture - how to make it?
According to the latest trends, DIY furniture is a stylish element of interior decoration. Recycling and upcycling is an important part of life for an increasing number of people. Pallet furniture is a realisation of both trendy interior design and ecological lifestyle. There are many advantages of creating objects made of pallets. Most importantly they are extremely cheap.
If you already own pallets that were used for materials storage, the cost of creating pallet furniture covers only several minor products. You can also get some pallets for free or low price in industrial areas, supermarkets or wholesalers.
Although pallets usually are not made of high quality wood, they are very sturdy and resistant to damage. Therefore pallet wood projects are strong and such furniture serves for a long time. The material is lightweight and eco-friendly. If designed well, pallet furniture can be elegant and quite stylish. A pallet table or pallet bench is a perfect complimentary element to scandinavian or minimalistic style.
Pallet furniture for your garden - which pallets are the best?
Wooden pallets used in transport are often left after building materials used for construction. If you bought them with materials for construction, they basically cost you nothing. You could also try to get some pallets in supermarkets, small shops or industrial areas. They aren’t very expensive. A good idea is to browse through auction websites, where one can buy pallets even cheaper than in a shop.
Looking for pallet ideas and DIY furniture projects, consider the size of those elements. There are different types of pallets, each having various sizes.
The most common types are:
- EUR-pallet - the most popular type. Their dimensions are 1200x800x144 mm. A single Euro-pallet weighs 25 kilograms.
- ISO pallet - it’s a single-layer pallet. Its dimensions are 120x100x14,4 cm.
- ½ pallet - its dimensions are 800×600×144 mm. It is good for building small furniture pieces.
Because of their universal dimensions and exceptional sturdiness, Euro-pallets are the most popular choice for pallet furniture. They are made of impregnated and thermally processed wood. You can, however use any kind of wooden pallet for DIY pallet projects.
Make sure that pallets you choose are not damaged and prepare the correctly. If you pick pallets from various sources, remember to choose elements of the same type.
How to make pallet furniture?
Before starting your pallet wood project you should equip yourself with right tools and products. Apart from the pallets, you will also need:
- grinder tool with 80-100 grit sanding paper for the first sanding and grit 200 for smoothing the surface,
- screw gun with screws,
- wood adhesive for filling the holes in wood,
- wood preserver,
- wood paint (if you want the furniture to have a certain colour),
- painting tools - brushes and rollers,
- additional elements - wheels, glass tabletops, cushions, blankets, mattresses.
Pallet furniture - step by step
Before starting making pallet furniture, you need a proper design. Measure the place where the furniture is supposed to be placed. The size of your pallet furniture should match the size of a pallet accordingly, to avoid cutting.
It is good if the size of the final piece is a multiple of a pallet’s length. This way, if you want to increase the length, you just add another piece to one side. A standard height of the furniture is usually a height of two pallets. To get a higher piece, just add another layer of pallet.
Having prepared a detailed project which includes the number of pallets you are going to need, you need to prepare the pallets:
- Any damage should be repaired. Remove rotten elements and fill holes and dents with a wood adhesive.
- Use the grinder tool to smoothen rough surface and remove any splinters. Grind the pallet thoroughly so that there are no sharp or rough elements. Fill any gaps with the mentioned adhesive. Remove or hammer any nails sticking out of the wood.
- Clean the pallets from dust and apply the wood preserver to the surface. After it dries, you can cover the pallets with a varnish or paint.
If the elements have dried, you can start linking them into one piece. To do this, use screws, angles and flat bars. Match the pieces in the least visible places, such as the bottom and sides of a pallet. You can add wheels to the tables so that they can be easily moved. You can also add decorative elements such as cushions and mattresses.
Pallet furniture ideas
There are many DIY pallet projects that you can use for furnishing your garden. The most commonly made objects are pallet tables. They are very easy to make - all you need is placing one pallet on another and joining them with several screws. A good idea is adding a glass table top. Find other pallet furniture ideas below:
- Lounge chair - such project usually requires 2 pallets. You can customise the length of the seat and the angle of the back.
- Armchair - 3 pallets will suffice in most cases. For this type of pallet wood projects it is a good idea to use smaller size pallets.
- Swing - just build a seat of of pallets and attach it to an appropriate constructions, for instance between two trees.
- Flower bed - you can make either a flower stand or a vertical garden. To make the latter, cover the invisible side of the pallet and its bottom with garden foil. Fill the spaces with soil and plant some flowers inside. When their roots grow large enough, you can position the pallet vertically.
Those are only a few ideas for pallet furniture to use in your garden. You can find more inspirations on the Internet. There are many tutorials available with a step-by-step instruction.
Pallet bench - DIY furniture
A simple pallet bench is very easy to make. All you need is three pallets. Their size is not important - use the one that fits your own preferences. Cut one of the pallets in two along the boards. One piece will be the backrest and the boards from the other are going to be used for securing it in place.
After grounding the surface and protecting it with preserver place one whole pallet on the other. Attach three boards to the backseat part. Cut the boards so they are equal in length. Then just attach the back to the seat. The pallet bench is more comfortable if you put a mattress of an appropriate length on the seat.
Garden pallet furniture is a good solution for cheap and eco-friendly furnishing. It can be used in a garden, on a patio and on a balcony. Making pallet furniture is relatively easy, therefore it is worth to try to make them. Pallet furniture is a good idea for furnishing a stylish garden.
📍 Where to get pallets?
📍 How to make pallet patio furniture?
📍 How to price pallet furniture?
A modern living room is a dream of many homeowners. If you wonder how to furnish your living room, you might inspire yourself with contemporary styles.Read more