How to Clean Gold? 4 Failproof Gold Cleaning Methods and Hacks
Unwanted stains sometimes appear on golden jewelry, affecting its general aesthetics. To remove them, you can take your treasures to a professional jeweler. But you can save a lot of money using certain home remedies. Thanks to them, your golden jewelry can become shiny and clean again. You only need some common products, usually available in every household and easy to purchase in a store. Check how to clean gold - safely and quickly.
Why does gold turn black – is its quality poor?
Dark stains tend to appear on golden jewelry – it’s simply its feature. How to clean gold and remove black marks? Note the way gold darkens is related mostly to its type. 585 (14 carats) and 333 (8 carats) are the most popular gold qualities used in jewelry. In practice, it means the accessories aren’t made of pure golden nuggets, but contain other metals as well. It’s those metals that get darker in time, which is visible in golden jewelry.
The higher content of other metals in gold, the more likely it is that stains will appear.
How to care for golden jewelry?
Jewelry, especially golden, is one of the most valued elements, mainly among women. One can use it to accentuate any outfit, regardless of the occasion. For this reason, if you want to make sure your golden jewelry is always spotless, you have to take a proper care of it.
Here are a few key tips thanks to which your golden jewelry will always look stunning:
- Keep your golden jewelry away from chemicals – various substances have a negative impact on precious metals such as silver, gold, and platinum. When coming in contact with them, surfaces of golden objects might get damaged. Don’t spray cosmetics directly on gold, and make sure to take off your accessories before getting in a swimming pool.
- Storage is another crucial element you should pay attention to if you want to keep your gold in perfect condition. Never throw it into a random drawer at home. Keep your golden jewelry in a pouch, a box or a case.
- Physical exercise isn’t good for gold, so take off any accessories before working out or doing chores at home. When lifting heavy objects with a ring on your finger, you risk damaging it. In addition, golden jewelry doesn’t like contact with sweat, which might cause stains on its surface.
Is cleaning gold at home a good solution?
Cleaning gold at home shouldn’t surprise anyone, and the process is nothing difficult. You can do it yourself, just like when cleaning silver. If you follow the instructions carefully, you can quickly restore the old shine to your favourite jewelry accessories.
If you aren’t convinced that cleaning gold at home is safe, start from the simplest solutions. Thanks to this, you can use products designed for cleaning gold purchased at a store. This way, you can be sure you’re using methods recommended by experts.
Cleaning gold with baking soda
Baking soda is a universal cleaning substance. It’s perfect for cleaning a microwave, a dishwasher, an oven, and even a washing machine. How to clean gold using baking soda? Just prepare a simple solution.
- Put one tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and mix thoroughly.
- Put the golden jewelry you want to clean in the solution. Leave it for the next 15-20 minutes.
- Take the jewelry out of the solution and use a soft cloth (e.g., microfiber) or a brush with soft bristles to clean it off.
If the golden jewelry is very dirty, you can use a paste made of soda. Add a little water to a lot of baking soda, put the paste on the gold and leave it for about 20 minutes.
Cleaning gold with aluminum foil – is it a safe method?
Cleaning tarnished gold with aluminum foil is one of the most popular home remedies. Surprisingly, it doesn’t penetrate the structure of jewelry, so it’s safe.
- Put aluminum foil at the bottom of a dish, and add warm water.
- Add one tablespoon of baking soda. Stir it thoroughly.
- Put your golden jewelry in the mixture and leave it for at least 2-3 hours.
- Take the jewelry out of the solution and dry it thoroughly. Using a soft microfiber cloth is the easiest way.
Cleaning gold with Coke – fact or myth?
Coca-cola is a perfect way to remove corrosion from various metals. But few people know that this beverage can also get rid of stains on golden jewelry. Cleaning gold using this type of liquid is completely safe and there are no concerns about this method.
Just pour the beverage into a dish, and submerge your jewelry in it. The stains should disappear after several minutes. If the dirt is more extensive, leave the accessories in Coca-Cola for longer.
Make sure to thoroughly rinse the gold after taking it out of the liquid to remove stickiness. Then just use a soft microfiber cloth to dry the jewelry – and you’re done.
Gold cleaners – use store-bought products
Home remedies for cleaning gold are quick and trusted methods to clean dirty gold effectively. By using products you have at home, you can easily get rid of any stains and restore the perfect appearance of your favorite jewelry. Most importantly, such solutions are much cheaper than leaving your accessories at a professional.
Those who aren’t sure about safety and effectiveness of home remedies, still can clean their jewelry at home. Just use store-bought jewelry cleaners designed for gold. It’s a much better method than asking a professional to do it for you. By using an adequate product, you can clean your gold effectively and safely – the same way experts do it.
📍 How to clean gold with stones?
Cleaning gold with stones is the same as cleaning regular gold. Just make sure to use safe remedies, e.g., dish soap or soda. Avoid sharp accessories, as they might scratch the gold and precious stones.
📍 How to clean gold with zirconia?
Cleaning gold with additional zirconia stones isn't difficult. To clean the tarnished gold, prepare a special solution with water and soda or dish soap. Dip the jewelry in the liquid and leave it for some time. You can also use a brush with soft bristles.
📍 How to clean gold with baking soda?
Homemade gold cleaning remedies are very popular. Baking soda is a particularly noteworthy ingredient. It should be mixed with water – all that's left to do is put the jewelry in the mixture and wait until it starts working.
📍 How to clean white gold?
Cleaning standard gold is not difficult. But how to clean white gold? It's something you can do yourself as well. Prepare warm water with dish soap – it's the safest solution, especially if the jewelry contains precious stones.
Maybe you're interested